Adoption Related Services, Inc. is accepting applications for individuals and couples who wish to adopt from Lativa.
International Adoption From Latvia
Adoption Related Services, Inc. is approved by the Latvian Central Authority to assist couples and individuals with an adoption from Latvia.
Latvia is a Hague Country and any adoption from Latvia must comply with the convention.
Central Authority: The Ministry of Welfare for the Republic of Latvia is the central child adoption authority in Latvia.
Adoption Related Services, Inc. is working through the Central Authority in Latvia and with an experienced adoption team, to help families successfully adopt Latvian children.
Children Available For Adoption
- Families who adopt a child from Latvia must be prepared to adopt children that are older. These children are usually between the ages of nine and fifteen at the time of referral.
- Younger children (under 9) will be a part of a sibling group or have special needs.
- Families who are open, able and approved to adopt a larger sibling group of three or more children, can adopt children of any age and any health status. Adoption of younger children can be a longer process.
- Latvian children are typically Caucasian. Both boys and girls are available for adoption.
- Parents can specify gender.
- Children available for adoption are from orphanages or state sponsored foster homes.
- Parents must be prepared to parent children from an orphanage or foster home and children who were removed from their families.
Adoption Related Services, Inc. believes that all children adopted from an orphanage or foster home, will have some level of special need due to their environment and the circumstances that surround their removal from their biological home.
Who Can Adopt?
- Married couples or single, females.
- Must be over twenty-five years of age and at least eighteen years older than the child.
- Older parent(s) may adopt.
- Prospective adoptive parents must demonstrate they have the means to care for the physical, mental, subsistence and education of a child under eighteen years of age
Length of the Adoption Process and Travel Requirements.
From the submission of your dossier to the Ministry of Welfare, the adoption of a child from Latvia can take about six to eight months. In some cases the process can be longer.
Prospective adoptive parents must understand that with any adoption, there is no set timeline as many factors are involved with the process.
The adoption team does everything within its power to make the process as smooth as possible. However, as a prospective adoptive parent, you must be able to tolerate delays and other developments that may occur during an international adoption process.
To download a Latvian Information packet with an application, please visit the Contact us page of this website.
The following information is available upon request:
- Number of adoptions for the last three years
- Number of applications for adoption for the last three years
- Number of dissolutions for the last three years
- Number of disruptions for the three years.
- The Website of the Latvian Central Authority for their database of waiting children. (Adoption Related Services, Inc. does not keep a data base of waiting children) http://www.lm.gov.lv/text/1112
Adoption Related Services, Inc. is now accepting applications for Latvian adoptions!
For more information about adopting from Latvia, contact us at 717-227-9560.